Ever wonder how celebrities like Emma Stone, Miranda Kerr, and Mandy Moore maintain their incredibly flawless, glowing complexions? Turns out there’s one common ingredient among all their makeup removing routines – coconut oil.
Coconut oil has been credited as one of the gentlest and most effective makeup removers. Not only is it great for sensitive skin, but it’s also extremely powerful on waterproof makeup (yes, we’ve tried it!). Unlike some of the other expensive and chemical-filled makeup removers out there that claim to eliminate all traces of your stubborn makeup, coconut oil easily removes makeup with no rubbing necessary. The reason? “Coconut oil solubilizes or breaks up water-resistant substances used in eye shadow and mascara, releasing them from the skin and lashes,” says cosmetic chemist Joseph Cincotta. Just let the oil work its magic and protect your sensitive skin, especially under your eyes.
Ready to give your skin some much needed TLC? Just follow these easy steps to get gorgeous and soft skin in no time:
- Eyes on the prize: Start by gently applying your Three Ships Nourish Lavender or Clarify Tea Tree Cleansing Oil to your eyes, leaving the cloth over your closed eyelids for 10 seconds. Gently work over eyelids and lashes to clean any eye shadow, eyeliner, and mascara.
- Face off: Using the same makeup wipe, begin to clean your face. Start at the corner of your mouth, then move up to the sides of your nose, forehead, temples, cheeks, and finally your chin. Use circular motions and try not to tug to avoid stretching your skin and leading to premature wrinkles.
- Steam your pores: For extra luxury that will leave you feeling ultra relaxed and pampered, soak a small towel in hot water, and drape it over your face for a few minutes. This helps open your pores and allow the coconut oil to really dig in and remove any stubborn makeup.
- Wash your face: Use warm water and gently clean the coconut oil off your face. You can also use your favourite cleanser (like our Purify Aloe + Amino Acid Cleanser) if you want that squeaky clean feel.
- Tone & Moisturize: Spray your face with toner (try one of our lavender or rose toners) to balance your skin’s pH levels. Coconut oil naturally has the added benefit of leaving your skin smooth and moisturized. However, if you’d like extra moisture, use your creams and serums of choice.
Give it a shot and let us know what you think!