Photo credit: Mikhail Nilov Photography
Whether your week consists of work, taking care of the kids, school, or other commitments, the daily grind can make us forget about taking peaceful, mindful breaks. Meditation specifically clears the mind from bustling routines and allows one to stay grounded and calm. But did you know that meditation can also make your skin glow and appear more youthful? Being a practice since 1,500 BCE, the developing field of psychodermatology, which studies linkages between the mind and skin, has revealed physical benefits of meditation. Time to take out your yoga mats and meditation cushions!
What’s on the Inside Counts
For the mind, you do not have to commit to a spiritual, introspective journey to meditate. In fact, regularly taking the time for breathing exercises and allowing the mind to wander can help with the following:
- Reduce stress levels
- Improve memory and focus
- Boost self-confidence
- Rid negative thoughts and mood
Accordingly, alleviating pressures of the mind can allow us to make healthier decisions which directly benefit organ systems of the body. Examples include the circulatory (blood) system and integumentary (skin) system - leading to youthful benefits for the skin.
How Meditation Defies Aging According to Science
Like stress and anxiety, relaxation and peace is also reflected through your physical appearance and energy levels. You may have heard of breakouts and acne indicating fatigue and high levels of stress. In the long term, the Brain-Skin Connection: Stress, Inflammation and Skin Aging study affirms that overlooking internal pressures and mental health can be an aging factor to your appearance. Common side-effects include enhanced fine lines and wrinkles, loss of elasticity and firmness, and dull-looking skin.
Not to worry, meditation can mediate all of the above! We have identified three scientifically-proven ways:
- You can harness your energy, also known as “prana”, and immerse yourself in a state of relaxation and calmness. Prana is also a life force which nourishes your body’s tissues and cells, healing any blemishes quicker, reducing the appearance of fine lines, and giving a fresh, youthful glow to your skin!
- Mindful breathing adds oxygen to your skin, boosting your cellular health, making your skin supple to the touch, and illuminating the appearance of your skin!
- Your blood pressure will decrease, and tension-related pain such as headaches, insomnia, and joint problems are relieved. This evens skin tone and slows the appearance of aging skin!
Photo credit: Marcus Aurelius Photography
How You Can Start Meditating
Although there are various ways and lengths of meditation, we’ve compiled a list of basic tips and resources to help you get started!
- Set the stage. Your established meditation space can be anywhere that you feel is calm and quiet. Be sure to have a comfy, flat surface to sit on.
- Take baby steps, and set a time limit. As meditation may take time to get used to, your session can be as short as five minutes!
- Let your mind run free, then focus on your breathing. Like a boomerang, start off with focusing on your breath, then allow yourself to get lost in your thoughts. After a few moments, return your attention to your breath once more.
- If there’s no one else around to guide you, use an app or videos online. It will help time your sessions, track your progress, and direct you through your meditation. Examples include Headspace, Calm, and Mindfulness with Petit BamBou!
- Journal your progress in a notebook! Even if it’s a sentence of how you feel at the end of the session, you can reminisce how far you’ve come and celebrate small wins.
Set the Mood for Your Skin Too!
Self-care and skin health is intertwined with your skincare routine, before and after your meditation session. To feel calm before you start your session and refreshed post-meditation, use our Calm Lavender Hydrosol Toner. This includes lavender flower water, a well-known ingredient in aromatherapy that promotes calmness and wellness.
Listening to your skin can reveal internalized stresses, and caring for it through meditation can help. Through silencing the buzz around you and breathing mindfully, your skin will radiate with spry, energy, and gratitude.
Now, close your eyes and take three deep breaths. Your skin will thank you for it!