Hello beauties! My name is Natalie, and I enjoy helping others understand skincare and the importance of having healthy skin. I run a page on Instagram where I explain certain topics on skincare and skin - called @Realskintalk. Today on the Three Ships blog, I'll be sharing topics on what should be included in your skincare routine and how to apply these products based on your skin type 😊Let's get into it, shall we?
What should be in my skincare routine?
I find that the hardest thing about skincare is knowing exactly what to use for your skin. This is highly dependent on a lot of factors but generally speaking, everyone should be using at least one specific product. That product is sunscreen, the most important skincare product. Any sunscreen that you love to apply on your skin daily is the best sunscreen, but keep in mind that it should always have an SPF of at least 30.
Some other must-haves for your skincare routine include a cleanser and moisturizer of your choice. Every person will need other specific ingredients to target certain skin concerns, but these ingredients should be determined by a professional or medical provider.
I have made an illustration on some products and ingredients which could be beneficial for your skincare routine.
How do I apply my skincare products?
Another difficult task in figuring out the right skincare routine for yourself is understanding how these products should be applied.
- Before starting, always make sure your hands are clean prior to applying any products on your skin. This is an important step people tend to forget about.
- To start your skin routine, a cleanser is typically used to remove impurities and prepare the skin for the next steps that follow.
- Generally, after a cleanser is used, water-based serums should be applied before oil-based serums, as oils prevent water penetration into the skin.
- If you are using actives in your routine, they can be applied either before or after a moisturizer depending if your actives make your skin dry or irritated easily. Actives include any products that target a specific skin concern. Some skin concerns include acne, hyper-pigmentation, healthy aging, cell renewal and more.
- The last step in your daytime routine should always be a sunscreen to protect your skin from harmful ultraviolet rays.
Check out the illustrations below to help you further understand how your products should be applied in terms of order.
Skincare is essential for everyone and should be fun, not stressful. Learning what can work for your skin will require some trial and error but it will benefit you in the long run once you learn what works best for you. Take care of your skin as the health of our skin is crucial to protect us from the environment. Research the ingredients in your skincare products to see if they are really helping with your specific skin concern(s) and do not be afraid to ask a professional for help.
If you would like to learn more about skin and skincare feel free to follow my Instagram account @realskintalk ✨