Did you know that 60% of products applied topically are absorbed into the body? Our skin is our largest organ (accounting for 15% of our body weight) so it’s important to take proper care of it, just as you would with any other part of your body. We are often thoughtful about the food we put in our bodies, and the same should be considered with what we put on our bodies.
At Three Ships, natural means 100% plant-derived, with no artificial ingredients. We formulate according to the strictest European Union standards, meaning we avoid more than 1,400 potentially harmful chemicals that the EU has banned. Our products are vegan (no animal by-products) and Leaping Bunny certified cruelty-free (no animal testing).
If you are considering your health when it comes to skincare, we recommend the following tips for transitioning to natural beauty:
Find resources you trust - There are certifications you can look for to ensure skincare products are what they claim to be.
- Leaping Bunny for certified cruelty-free: Brands will say 'we don't test on animals' but checking for this certification will ensure that they are holding up to their claims.
- EWG's Skin Deep database: You can search ingredients and they will give a safety score.
- Content creators on IG, YouTube, etc.: Skintellectuals will do the research so you don't have to.
Start small - Don't overwhelm yourself by trying to overhaul everything!
- It's the same with food - if you try to cut out all junk food and follow every healthy diet, it's extremely overwhelming.
- Easy to start with something you're about to run out of, like shampoo or conditioner.
- Read ingredients of 1 product and try to really understand it. At Three Ships, we link every ingredient in our Ingredient Glossary.
Replace what you use most often - These are the products we rotate out frequently. Consider replacing your cleanser or moisturizer with an all-natural alternative!
Our Purify Aloe + Amino Acid Cleanser works great for dry/sensitive/normal skin, and our Refresh Papaya + Salicylic Acid Cleanser for oily/acne-prone skin (Not sure what your skin type is? Take our skin quiz here!)
Make it fun - Learning all this new info can be overwhelming but doing it with others can definitely help!
- Do it with a friend - Browse products together and share experience.
- Engage with the community online - The skincare community is very active on social media. Following your favorite hashtags such as #SkincareTips #SkincareRoutine and #ThreeShipsBeauty can be a great way to find others to connect with in your natural skincare journey! Follow us on Instagram at @threeshipsbeauty to join the conversation.
Want more helpful info? Check out How To Read Ingredient Labels on Skincare and Cosmetics & Common Misconceptions of Natural Beauty here.