It seems like we’re all on the same quest of achieving the ultimate #skingoal - perfectly even skin tone. Your cheeks may be a little rosier than other areas, your nose may be red, and you might have dark circles under your eyes (that appear no matter how much concealer we use!). Understanding the root of your skin problems and using proper treatment techniques is the essential key to treating your dark spots, redness and/or hyper pigmentation.
Hyper pigmentation is one of the causes for uneven skin tone, usually triggered by the following events:
- Sun exposure
- UV light stimulates melanocytes, which are the pigment producing cells in your skin. These cells end up producing more pigment which results in a darker skin tone.
- Post-inflammatory hyper pigmentation
- When you have a scar from an injury, it leaves a mark/spot that is darker than your natural skin tone.
- Dry skin
- Lack of sebum production makes your skin crack easily. Damaged skin is prone to blotches.
- Hormonal fluctuation
- Melasma, in other words, unwanted melatonin in your skin, can be due to hormonal fluctuations such as changes in estrogen, especially during pregnancy/ when on birth control.
6 Ways to Treat Your Uneven Skin Tone
1. Listen to Your Skin
Establish your original skincare routine for your skin type. Not sure what your skin type is? Check out how to treat your skin according to your skin type:
- Getting rid of your old skin from your skin’s surface is crucial to allow your skincare products’ ingredients to sink in.
3. Cleanse and Moisturize Daily
- It’s important to cleanse and get rid of all the makeup residue/sweat/dirt you’ve collected throughout the day. Check out a few double cleansing techniques here.
4. Get Rid of Toxic Cosmetics / Skincare Products
- Cosmetics or skincare products that contain toxic chemicals could be adding to your skin care concerns - try avoiding using anything with parabens, BHA, Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLS) etc, and look for natural ingredients.
5. Use Sunscreen 365 Days of the Year!
- Sun damage doesn’t show up immediately after sunbathing or laying on the beach. You don’t want to wake up one day to a face with dark spots all over. So think of applying SPF today as an investment for your future self. You’ll thank yourself later.
6. Treat Your Skin with Vitamin C
- Vitamin C helps to brighten up your skin by boosting collagen production, and its antioxidant properties treat your damage from UV exposure. Our Dew Drops Hyaluronic Acid + Vitamin C Serum is packed with it!
Questions or concerns? Feel free to leave a comment with your burning skincare questions! We're always here to help. :)